FULL TIME POSITION
Grassroots Local Market Co-op is seeking an outstanding individual to join, start up, and and lead our team. Grassroots is a natural foods cooperative in Lynchburg, Virginia. We are in the store build-out and start-up phase. The store is expected to open in the spring/summer of 2018.
- Five years grocery management and supervisory experience (store manager, assistant manager, or department manager).
- Experience managing to and accountable for a budget.
- Experience developing and implementing marketing and advertising strategy.
- Exceed our customers’ expectations for service and provide a welcoming environment for all in accordance with Grassroots’s customer service standards.
- Strong communication skills are a must for this position. Working with employees and the public is 80%+ of this job!
- Must be able to prioritize job duties and multi-task, as well as be organized and efficient.
- Must embrace opportunities to learn and grow, develop efficiencies that better support and enhance the store, and increase sales – all in a team environment.
- Proficiency with word processing and spreadsheet applications.
- Commercial and/or restaurant prep, line, and production experience.
- Experienced in natural foods grocery and the cooperative business model.
- Experience in communicating with and reporting to a board of directors.
- Experience using retail (preferably grocery) point-of-sale software.
The general manager is empowered to make all decisions, create all policies, and authorize all engagements that he can demonstrate to be consistent with a reasonable interpretation of board policy as provided for in board/general manager relations policies.
The general manager’s performance will be evaluated through systematic and rigorous monitoring of expectations established in policies on asset protection, financial conditions, business planning and financial budgeting, health and safety of employees and customers, staff treatment and compensation, treatment of consumers, membership equity and benefits, communication and support to the board, board logistical support, and emergency management succession.
Lynchburg Food Cooperative Inc is a start-up. As such the first general manager will be responsible for setting up and opening the store within the time frame and policies set by the board. Start-up activities include creating personnel policy, hiring and training staff, ordering the initial stock and incidental equipment, stocking the shelves, managing builders and other trades workers to build out the store space, creating displays, setting up all electronics (POS, stereo, alarm, security cameras), interacting with governmental and regulatory authorities and ensuring compliance, and interfacing with the public.
A full set of the board’s policies is available upon request.
The general manager reports to the board of directors, which is elected by the members of the cooperative. The board operates under Policy Governance, a system that emphasizes vision and values empowerment and accountability. The board uses policy to define the results the general manager is expected to achieve within defined limits of prudence and ethics. The general manager has the authority to hire, direct, structure, and evaluate all other staff.
What to Expect
After submitting an application you can expect to receive a confirmation email with 48 hours. No further communication from you is necessary, we will process all applications within the schedule described below. We will contact you if we need any additional information or to schedule an interview.
|November 20, 2017 - December 31, 2017||Accept applications|
|January 1, 2018 - January 5, 2018||Screen applications|
|January 6, 2018 - January 11, 2018||Initial round of interviews by Skype|
|January 15, 2018 - January 21, 2018||On-site interviews in Lynchburg|
|January 25, 2018||Final selection|
If interested, please complete our Employment Application and upload your curent CV. To submit the form, you will need to either log in or create an account.
Pay commensurate with experience.
Grassroots Local Market is an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work!
Only completed applications considered.